There is something about home-made fudge that really cannot be beaten by the shop bought version.
I love fudge.
I love this fudge recipe.
I think you will love it too.
Vanilla Fudge Recipe
1 can (400ml) Condensed Milk
250g Butter (butter – not margarine)
5 Tbsp Golden Syrup
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1) Melt butter in very large pan. Make sure it is a very large pan as the mixture will bubble up as it boils. Add milk, condensed milk, syrup and sugar and boil on high heat stirring constantly. Add vanilla extract.
2) Keep stirring mixture until it reaches the soft ball stage (115ºC on a sugar thermometer). If you don’t have a sugar thermometer you can test whether the mixture has reached the soft ball stage by putting a couple of drops in a glass of ice cold water. If the drops form a soft ball in the water you’re done. If not boil for a while longer and try again every few minutes.
3) When mixture has reached the soft ball stage turn off heat and leave to cool for five minutes. Meanwhile line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
4) When mixture has cooled slightly whisk or beat it with a wooden spoon until it becomes “fudge like”. As I am lazy I used a handheld stick whisk which did the job just fine. Much less work than beating the mixture with a wooden spoon for ages!
5) Spoon mixture into baking tray and leave to cool. When almost cooled score fudge into squares, ready to cut properly once it has cooled completely.
6) Store in an airtight container. Or eat. I’ve done the latter with most of it. The airtight container contains a lot of air.
You can also substitute the vanilla extract for other flavourings of your choice. If you do try this recipe out please let me know what you think.
Click here for more recipes from Larger Family Life.
Don’t miss out on our updates! Why not subscribe to our full feed and receive updates directly to your inbox?