Finding a great tasting recipe to fill many mouths is not easy. This recipe is perfect for all occasions, be it a simple family meal, or for a dinner party. It’s great fun to make, so why not get your children to help you out in the kitchen? Like most recipes any kitchenware you have will probably be suitable although a roasting pan is an ideal shape and size when it comes to cooking for a crowd. In this recipe it is used for an “easy to assemble” cannelloni which can be cooked and served from the one dish.
Roasted Pepper Cannelloni
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 175g jar char grilled red peppers in oil
- 3 x 250g tubs Ricotta cheese
- 2 level teaspoons dried marjoram
- 3 level teaspoons dried parsley
- 24 dried cannelloni pasta tubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
Oven: 180°C /350°F /Gas Mark 4, pre–heated. Reduce this to 170ºc for fan heated ovens.
- Put the chopped red onion into a small microwave bowl with the oil. Cover with pierced cling wrap and microwave for 1 ½ minutes on full power (or fry the onion in the oil in a small saucepan until beginning to soften)
- Mix the chopped tomatoes and their juice with the chopped onion and some seasoning in the base of the oiled roasting pan.
- Drain the jar of peppers well. Chop the flesh into small pieces. Put the ricotta cheese, peppers, marjoram, parsley and some salt and pepper into a bowl, mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a large piping bag with a large plain nozzle, or, place in a strong polythene bag and snip away one corner to make a hole for piping.
- Using a chopping board stand each cannelloni tube on end and holding it firmly to the board pipe the mixture into it, filling it loosely. As they are filled lay the cannelloni in two long rows over the tomatoes.
- For the sauce place the softened butter or margarine, flour and milk into a large saucepan. Heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens. Add the nutmeg and season well. Pour the sauce over the cannelloni covering the tubes completely. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, until the top is pale golden brown.
Serve with a crisp green salad and crusty bread.