The bathroom is often the smallest room in the house and although it’s essential for all sorts of personal tasks and is, ideally, a place where you can soak away your cares, between the essential fixtures, fittings and accessories, it can quickly become cluttered to the point of claustrophobia. Rather than going the whole hog and calling in a local moving company to move house completely, there are some tips you can use to transform your existing bathroom. If moving does turn out to be your only option, You Move Me offers a full moving service from home to home.
Thankfully, you don’t need to compromise on creature comforts to transform your bathroom into a space that feels spacious and inviting. What you do need is some clever storage and water systems that allow you to make the most of the space available.
Here’s a few simple tips to give your cluttered bathroom a new lease of life:
Colour and Design
How you decorate your bathroom can have a real impact on how spacious it feels:
- Paint or tile using light, reflective, white and neutral tones to create the illusion of space.
- If you love colour, use it sparingly with towels, bath mats, door handles and wall hooks. An added advantage of doing this is that if you want to update your bathroom in the future, you only need to change the accessories.
- Replace a fabric shower curtain with a glass screen that allows light to flood every corner of the bathroom.
- Give tiles, flooring and fixtures a deep clean. There are plenty of products out there that promise to remove grime, mildew and limescale, but one of the easiest, most effective and satisfying ways to clean a lacklustre bathroom is to fit a scrubbing brush to a drill bit and power your way to a spotless finish.
- The way you light your bathroom can make a difference to how spacious and inviting it feels. Recessed ceiling lighting can be used to illuminate every inch but it’s worth spending a little more to install a dimmer switch. That way, you can benefit from bright lighting for tasks like applying cosmetics or shaving as well as low lighting for a soothing bath.
Bath toys and toiletries clutter up a bathroom quickly but by organising them into simple storage solutions you can clear surfaces to create a streamlined, tidy look.
- If you shower in the bath, fit a shower rail to the interior wall, hang some ‘S’ hooks on it and attach small baskets to them. It’s a cheap and simple way to organise all those bits and pieces while keeping them within easy reach.
- Decant bottles of handwash, shampoo and conditioner into pump dispensers that complement the décor of your bathroom so that they merge into the design instead of clutter it. This works for small items like cotton buds and bath salts too. Put them into glass apothecary jars and make a crisp and uniform feature of them.
- Wall mounted, floor-standing or under-the-sink storage cabinets make light work of towels, spare toilet rolls and toiletries. Use containers and baskets inside cupboards to keep everything organised and maximise the appearance of space by using cupboards with mirrored doors.
- De-clutter your wall space by fitting hooks to the back of the bathroom door for towels, clothes and dressing gowns.
If, after all that you still struggle to manage with a small bathroom, why not extend it? If any members of the family have disablities that leave them in need of additional facilities, seeking expertise from Adaptio can ensure these are done quickly and reasonably.
Relocating your loo to a box room, utility room or closet anywhere in the house is really easy with a Saniflo Saniplus system. This is the perfect solution if stairs are an issue and a downstairs bathroom needs to be incorporated into existing space. This device, which is smaller than the average cistern, sits snugly behind a loo and can handle the water input and waste requirements of a toilet, sink, bidet and power shower. Family members who have difficulty with mobility can benefit from the addition of disabled showers.
By relocating or adding new bathroom facilities, you can create more space in your main bathroom and make life more practical and comfortable for every member of the family.
For expert advice on transforming your small and cosy bathroom into a clutter-free space that really works for you, contact the friendly team at Anchor Pumps.