Going to University in Sydney is an exciting new opportunity for anyone, even more so if you’re an international student. It offers a great chance to get a world-class education and experience different cultures at the same time, as students from all over the world prefer Sydney to other Australian cities.
However, Sydney is also one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in, meaning the cost of living expenses are sure to feature significantly in your decision-making process. Fortunately, with little time and effort, anyone can find cheap student accommodation in Sydney.
When it comes to choosing cheap accommodation, it is important to consider several factors before choosing one. Considering these key areas will help you choose a leading student accommodation provider.
The first thing you need to decide when looking for student accommodation is housing type. Will you be living in a flatshare, an apartment with other students, or even just on your own? Each option comes with its perks and issues.
A flatshare is excellent if you want some company, while an apartment will mean more independence. Below are the most popular yet affordable housing accommodations in Sydney:
While it is true that location is essential when looking for student accommodation in Sydney, it’s also important to keep your budget in mind.
- Do you have a preference between living near or far from school?
- Are you willing to walk or take public transportation (which may include waiting at bus stops in bad weather) every day?
It might be best to look up and analyse the pros and cons of each available option before you make your decision.
Number Of People
You may find that some properties, such as shared houses and bed and breakfast hotels, only allow specific numbers of people. For example, some providers may only allow six or seven people, whereas others may welcome up to 10.
It is always best to ask your potential accommodation provider about limits on numbers before signing a lease or making a down payment. A leading student accommodation provider will clear everything initially to avoid any hassle later.
There are three common types of lease terms you’ll encounter when renting an apartment:
- Short-term: This is a short-term or temporary lease that lasts a few months at most. Some may even be on a monthly basis, giving you more flexibility and freedom to leave at any time.
- Year-long: As the name suggests, this is a fixed lease wherein you agree to rent the apartment for a whole year. Getting out of a year-long lease may be complicated as the lessor may be entitled to compensation.
- Long-term: If you decide to stay at the same place for the duration of your course in Sydney, you can opt for a long-term lease.
The best student accommodation providers have everything that students need—from quality services and facilities to great prices and locations, so they can feel comfortable looking after their needs both now and later.
Moving into student accommodation is a big step. It’s essentially your home away from home, so you want to find a place that’s comfortable and safe. While many students opt for on-campus living, living off-campus can be cheaper.