Hunting remains one of America’s most popular pastimes and many people are still taking up the sport. Over the years, the benefits of hunting have become clearer through dedicated research by conservationists and government authorities. Hunters are credited with boosting conservation efforts and are playing a big role in the establishment of America’s national park system encompassing over 230 million acres of protected wildlife habitat.
This is a sport that blends sightseeing with healthy exercise. The popularity of this favorite pastime has seen over 18.25 million people going hunting annually according to recent statistics from US Fish and Wildlife Service. Well, if you want to get the best out of your hunt, you must have the right gear. With advances in hunting technology, this sport has become even more fun.
Importanceof Hunting GPS
One of the absolute necessities for the modern hunter is hunting GPS. This sleek device helps you navigate any terrain in search for elk or any other game. It not only helps mark the waypoints but is also crucial in navigating your way to tree stands in the middle of the night.
With a handheld GPS, it is easier to save important details that you would ordinarily forget, especially when tracking game at night. In summary, a handheld GPS enables you to pre-plan your routes, mark ranger stations, mark wires, power stations and hazards, and provides real-time assistance to mark good points in the field among other roles.
Buying the Best Hunting GPS
It is important to appreciate that there are hundreds of GPS devices in the market. Choosing the best can be a daunting task, especially if you are doing this for the first time. To avoid buying an expensive device that is worthless, you need to consider the following:
- The brand– Don’t rush to buy a handheld GPS based on the price alone but instead look for the name behind the product. Go for a product from a reputable brand. Such companies offer long warranties on their products because they are confident of the technology used.
- Button vs. touchscreen – Buttons have been used in GPS devices for long and they are reliable. Touchscreen handheld GPS devise on the other hand work fast with minimum effort and are more familiar to use if you are used to a smartphone.
- Battery life – Whether you opt for touch screen or buttons, you have to consider battery power when buying your hunting GPS device. Remember there is no access to electricity and as such, look for the longest battery life when buying a hunting GPS device.
- Durability – Hunting mostly happens in extreme environments and as such, the device you use should be weather resistant. The device you buy should be able to sustain intense use in any type of environment.
- Cutting-edge technology – Always go for a device that guarantees accuracy in the data provided. A good handheld hunting GPS should have the capacity to relay real-time positioning updates to help in your hunt.
Selecting a Hunting GPS from the Best
The hunting industry is growing fast and more brands are now making high-quality products to match the demands of the modern hunter. Among the best hunting GPS for every budget and needs you will find in the market today include:
- Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof – This is the overall highest rated hunting GPS in all parameters including durability, accuracy and performance. It is easy to charge and comes with a simple and intuitive design.
- Garmin Oregon 450t Handheld GPS Navigator – This features a touch screen pad which is very easy to use. It is sunlight-readable and boasts excellent clarity, which is ideal for most hunting grounds. It offers a three-prong package of benefits –reliability, durability, and accuracy –making it the ultimate hunting GPS.
- Garmin GPSMAP 64st – This hunting GPS features a classical design which belies the strength and speed you enjoy when using the device. It is highly accurate and boasts cutting-edge technology that you won’t find on any other device in the market.
There are other top rated hunting GPS devices in the market including Magellan CX0310SGXNA eXplorist 310 Waterproof, Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx Handheld GPS Navigator, Garmin GPSMAP 62St Handheld GPS Navigator, DeLorme AG-009871-201 inReach SE and Garmin Montana 600t Handheld GPS, Camo among others.
Hunting GPS is an invaluable tool that will revolutionize your hunting experience. When buying one, make sure you look for features and qualities including mapping capabilities, best hunting and fishing times, reliable compass, and weather radio band among others. Take your time when researching to ensure you find the best GPS to boost your hunting experience.