The Rainy Day Rethink – 4 Tips for Saving Money on Home Necessities

We live in a world where the terms ‘climate change’ and ‘global warming’ are commonplace. There is plenty of information out there. In fact, you can learn about the effects of things like vehicle pollution and plastic waste with just five minutes of internet research. Despite this, not everybody is motivated enough to take action.

Even if people understand the facts about global warming, they’re not always willing to change their lifestyles. The simple truth is that humans are creatures of convenience. We survive and thrive in the best ways we know how. If politicians and green campaigners want to reach regular families, they’ve got to demonstrate the practical benefits of sustainable living.

This guide to everyday sustainability offers easy ways to save money and conserve energy.

 

Invest In Alternative Energy

For many years, solar power has been the easiest and most affordable form of long term sustainability. Solar energy from AGL is provided in the fastest, most efficient way possible. Plus, customers can choose to pay upfront or split the costs over a two or five year period.

By investing in solar panels, you get the chance to earn money back on your electricity bills. So, you’re helping to protect the environment, and you’re making cash at the same time. Even the highest quality solar installations have paid for themselves within three to five years.

 

Install a Tankless Water System

Tankless water systems are much more efficient than the alternative because they provide heat only when needed. The water is cold when it travels through the pipe, after the tap is turned on, and it gets hotter upon contact with a burner. It isn’t heated and then left to stew.

This is how tank-based systems operate, and it is the reason why they are becoming less popular with homeowners. If you have a tank, the entire unit is filled up with water and fully heated, even if a small amount if required. It is a method which results in a lot of lost energy.

 

Replace Incandescent Bulbs

Around 11% of household energy expenditure is spent on domestic lighting.
Despite this, standard incandescent bulbs are capable of converting just 10% of electricity into actual illumination. The remaining 90% is lost to the surroundings as unnecessary heat energy.

This is remarkable, as there are very few products which we’d tolerate working only a tenth of the time. Fortunately, you can swap out these bulbs for super sustainable LEDs. They consume 70% less electricity, burn for ten times longer, and they produce no heat.

 

Seal and Insulate

For guaranteed efficiency, invest in high-quality home insulation.
Properties which are tightly sealed, particularly in their attics and basements, provide healthier air and contribute to smaller energy bills. High-end insulation traps heat inside and slows its rate of exit from the home.

However, there’s no point spending money and time on insulation if the home is full of smaller leaks. Before the winter arrives, conduct a thorough inspection. Check for breezes and draughts around window and door frames, wall sockets, pipes, and baseboards.

 

Why the Smallest Steps Have the Biggest Impact

It doesn’t really matter if your primary reason for investing in green products and technologies it to save money. You’re still contributing to the health of the environment, and it’s something to be proud of regardless. Whether you’re eco or wallet conscious, your actions have a positive impact. With the number of sustainable products increasing every year, it’s easier than ever to call yourself a friend of nature.

 

 

 

 

Site Policy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.