Australia is always a must visit destination in any traveller’s bucket list. Every corner of the land down under has goodness to offer to its visitors like the breathtaking Cairns. Cairns is a city in North Queensland that is considered as gateway to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. It is an ideal destination for travellers who like sailing, diving and snorkelling. To give your list a kick start, here are 7 reasons why you should spend some serious time in Cairns on your next holiday.
- The Great Barrier Reef: One of the wonders of the world, the Great Barrier Reef makes a trip up north worth every penny. The beautiful coral is world class and the aquatic life makes a perfect snorkelling, diving, or cruising experience.
- White water rafting: For the thrill seekers, white water rafting is a gateway to extreme adventure and excitement. Check out the grade 4 and 5 rapids (not for the faint hearted), pump up the adrenalin, and spend the day soaring along the natural waterways in the stunning and picturesque rainforest.
- Atherton Tablelands: The Tablelands offers a forestry setting and a wildlife that loved by photographers. During your trip, why not get a car rental in Cairns for maximum convenience and take a tour in this beautiful highland? It will also be easier to check out numerous wineries and gourmet food restaurants, go swimming in the stunningly beautiful waterfalls, and visit all of the region’s natural wonders.
- Cape Tribulation: Take a tour or hire a car and drive up to Cape Tribulation, checking out the pristine white beaches and the glorious Pacific Ocean along the way. This is the best way to escape the crowds and really explore the wonders of far north Queensland.
- Kuranda: Hop on the Kuranda scenic railway or take a drive up into the rainforest and head to the picturesque village of Kuranda for the day. Check out the fabulous Barron Falls and the ever popular artisans markets, take a riverboat cruise, visit the butterfly sanctuary, and enjoy a relaxing walk through the pristine rainforest.
- Fitzroy Island: Jump on the local ferry for a 45 minute trip out to this beautiful tropical island, just off Cairns. Visit for a day or stay overnight on this picture perfect island, popular with the locals who love the absolutely beaches, as well as snorkelling and diving.
- Crater Lakes National Park: Spend a beautiful day driving up to Lake Barrine and Lake Eacham (an hour’s drive from Cairns) and visit these awesome lakes created by volcanic action long ago. Explore the numerous walking tracks that run through the rainforest, take a leisurely cruise across the crystal clear lakes, and relax over a picnic lunch.
So make sure to add Cairns to your bucket list, because there is nothing quite like flying into Cairns and just taking off to explore the wonders of far north Queensland on your next holiday.