There is nothing more terrifying than feeling unsafe in your home. The use of domestic security cameras and other equipment have become more and more popular in the past five years, increasing by 265%*. Whether you use them sporadically while you and your family are on holiday, or on a daily basis there are a few things you need to know to ensure you are making the most our of your equipment.
Top Reasons to Utilise Security Cameras:
- They deter would-be trespassers
- They can be used as evidence to bring forth a conviction
- They increase the feeling of safety in a home
The Do’s and Don’ts:
While CCTV cameras are a great investment, there are a couple of things you should know in order to get the most out of your equipment:
- You need to ensure that you put up clear signs that advertise your camera.
- You are legally obligated to use the footage only for the purpose in which it was intended.
- You must destroy the footage as soon as it is no longer needed.
- You can not share the footage with third parties.
- You must ensure that all footage remains safe.
- You can not record any activity that takes place away from your property.
Assisting The Police
The law insists that everyone is entitled to their privacy, so if your camera captures a criminal act taking place this can only be used in court if it was obtained legally i.e: following the rules stated above.
If you are wondering whether to invest in a CCTV camera, Assegai Security are a great company that offers expert advice; helping you to decide what the best course of action is for you. They also supply a vast variety of security solutions and will work with you to help you feel safe and secure in your home.
UK Crime Stats http://www.ukcrimestats.com/