Mama’s Lasagne is a recipe fresh from the oven at Ben’s Beginners, the new YouTube cooking channel aimed at encouraging kids to get into the kitchen. Find out more about Ben’s Beginners here.
Serves 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 1hr 45 mins
YOU WILL NEED…
For the Bolognese Sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 200g baby button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 400g lean beef mince
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml stock, chicken or beef (made with cube)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- squeeze of honey (optional)
For the white sauce
- 600ml milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp flour
The rest of the ingredients to put it together
- 250g dried lasagne sheets
- 50g grated Parmesan
- Mixed leaf salad
- Salad dressing – 2tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic or white wine vinegar, squeeze of honey and 1tsp dijon mustard – whisked together – or put in a clean jam jar and shake.
HERE’S HOW TO MAKE IT… Get your Bolognese bubbling
- Heat the oil in a large casserole and fry the onion, celery and carrots for around 5 minutes until lovely and soft.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms release all of their liquid. Continue to cook until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Now get the beef in and use a wooden spoon to break it up to make sure it browns evenly.
- Once the beef is browned you can add in the stock, tomato paste, tinned tomatoes, oregano and honey if you are using.
- Give it a good stir and then cover and leave to gently bubble away for at least 1 hour – the longer it cooks the better it will taste.
Meanwhile make the white sauce
- Melt the butter in a pan. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the milk, a little at a time, whisking the whole time so that no lumps form.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, and then simmer for around 5 minutes until its thick and glossy.
Put it all together
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Spoon a third of the Bolognese sauce into an ovenproof dish.
- Cover with a layer of pasta then a layer of béchamel.
- Repeat the process two more times finishing with the béchamel on the top.
- Sprinkle over the Parmesan and bake for 45 minutes until golden and bubbling. Leave to stand for a few minutes before portioning up.
- Serve with a crunchy, fresh green salad.
For more tasty recipes and cooking techniques, sign up to Ben’s Beginners on YouTube now!