If you thought slow cookers were only useful for casseroles and stews you are in for a surprise. I bet you didn’t know you could make homemade bread in them too? Feeling sceptical? Try this moist, delicious yet very basic white homemade bread slow cooker recipe and see for yourself.
Cooking this homemade bread recipe in the slow cooker means you don’t have to worry about leaving the dough to rise or knocking back and re-kneading it. The entire preparation takes less than fifteen minutes and you will have delicious, warm homemade bread to tuck into with little fuss, bother or expense.
This recipe will make loaves in two 14cm bowls which will both fit into a 6 litre slow cooker. If your slow cooker is smaller or you have any dough left you can cover with clingfilm or a damp cloth and use later.
Basic White Slow Cooker Bread Recipe
32oz strong white bread flour (although it also works well with ordinary plain flour)
1 pint milk
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp sugar
4 oz butter
1. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.
2. Warm milk until it is hand-hot temperature. Add the yeast and sugar and whisk together.
3. Melt the butter and use some to coat two 14cm bowls including the rims.
4. Pour the yeast mixture into the flour and add the rest of the melted butter. Bring the mixture together with your hands. Once the mixture is fully combined and dough-like begin kneading.
5. Knead for at least five minutes then divide into two and shape into balls.
6. Place one ball of dough into each of the bowls.
7. Cover very loosely with foil.
8. Place a trivet, two egg/crumpet rings or even a scrunched up ball of foil in the bottom of your slow cooker pot then place the bowls on top.
9. Add an inch or so of boiling water to the pot and place the lid on top.
10. Set the slow cooker to high and your bread will be ready in four hours.